- This event has passed.
World Down Syndrome Day 2017 in the European Parliament
March 21, 2017
Tuesday, the 21st of March, 2017 marks the 12th anniversary of World Down Syndrome Day (WDSD). On this occasion, World Youth Alliance Europe, its chapters and Jérôme Lejeune Foundation will be holding a series of events and activities to raise awareness about Down syndrome and to adopt a common position in favor of rights, social inclusion and general life improvement of people affected by this chromosomal disorder in the European institutions and across Europe.
Following the immensely successful premiere of the World Down Syndrome Day in the European Parliament in Strasbourg organized in collaboration with the Jérôme Lejeune Foundation on March 9-12, 2015, WYA Europe is delighted to invite you for its next edition!
Different activities scheduled throughout the month:
1. Raise Awareness Campaign – also known as Mismatched Socks Campaign.
The raise awareness campaign will be centralized under the hashtag ‘#socksbattle4DS‘. WYA Europe invites all Members of the European Parliament, European politicians, well-known personalities as well as internet users to prepare a photo or a short video wearing mismatched socks and challenging others to do the same, eventually sharing it on their social media.
This online campaign will be supported by all the regional chapters of the World Youth Alliance across the world and their young members.
2. ‘Meet your MEP’ Campaign.
On March 21, 2017 Members of the European Parliament will be given a unique opportunity to meet and host people with Down Syndrome in their offices and to interact with them in person. The time and possible activities will be planned beforehand, based on the advice of a specialized educator in the domain of Down Syndrome Education.
3. The scientific high-level conference on the latest developments in the field of Down Syndrome organised in the European Parliament in Brussels.
The conference on Down Syndrome with the theme ‘Are we doing our best for the health of people with trisomy 21?’ will take place from 15h30 to 18h00 on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 in the room JAN 6Q1 in the European Parliament in Brussels.
The date for WDSD being the 21st day of the 3rd month, was selected to signify the uniqueness of the triplication (trisomy) of the 21st chromosome which causes Down syndrome.
To celebrate with us this special day:
- Wear mismatched socks
- Prepare a photo or a short video, where you explain that you are doing this to celebrate the World Down Syndrome Day and to raise awareness about people with Down syndrome
- Challenge 3 of your friends to do the same
- Explain what should be done for this campaign in your post (or just copy these points)
- Share your photo/video on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or/and Youtube between March 6-21, 2017 and remember to use the hashtag #SocksBattle4DS and to tag @WYAeurope, @FondLejeuneEN along with 3 friends that you have challenged to do the same
- Please like, share and retweet other publications that support this campaign to contribute to raising awareness of Down syndrome
- Follow our Twitter @WYAeurope, Facebook and Instagram pages under the name of the World Youth Alliance Europe and stay tuned for more updates
For more information about the events or how to get involved, please email us at email@example.com.