UBUCHINDAMI: BOOK DISCUSSION
MANâS SEARCH FOR MEANING BY VICTOR E. FRANKL
ON 18TH NOVEMBER 2006 AT MAMBA VILLAGE
THEME: WHO AM I?
The World Youth
The book for discussion is Manâs Search for Meaning by Vicktor Frankl. The book is an exploration of the nature of the human person by a man who had seen all external signs of human dignity stripped away by the cruel conditions of a Nazi concentration camp. Frankl observes the suffering of his fellow prisoners, and discovers important truths about the human person. Frankl describes the amazing resilience of the human person, and the ability for man to retain his dignity, even when he has lost all else. Frankl gives us a better understanding of our work promoting the dignity of the human person, and in the end, a better understanding of who we are.
âWe need to stop asking about the meaning of life and instead we need to think of ourselves as those who are being questioned by life daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in the right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answers to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which constantly sets for individual
PROGRAMME OF ACTIVITIES
Arrival and gathering at Hilton Bata
Departure for Mamba village
Arrival and a brief tour of
Discussion of the book
Socialization and games
Conclusions and Departure
Questions for discussions
1. Describe a particular example from the first part of Frankl’s book, “Experiences in a Concentration Camp,” that had an impact on you.
2. Based on your reading of “Experiences in a Concentration Camp,” what did you learn about the human person?
3. Frankl observed that prisoners, including himself, became apathetic to pain and suffering. Do you think this lack of emotion is a necessary defense mechanism?
Discuss the relationship between the will and the body.
5. What do your life experiences mean in the context of logo therapy?
6. Do you agree with ideas presented in Frankl’s book? Discuss your answer
7. How relevant are Frankl’s ideas in relation to the perception of the human person and meaning of life in your culture?
Things to carry along
1. Packed Lunch
2. Read the book or articles related
3. Bus fare Ksh50 to and fro.
4. Entrance fee Ksh100
Â· Mamba village is among
‘s top tourist attraction centre. It is located near the Bomas of Kenya in the Langata area. The village plays host to various reptile
Board matatu Number 126 and alight off
All interested participants will meet at Hilton Bata at 10:30 am
Members from other countries are also encouraged to form small groups and discuss the book.
Please register with Africa@wya.net by 13th November 2006 (Kenyan members only)